[nfbcs] Computer science major college question

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:09:03 UTC 2016

Certificates are valuable. There are a lot of jobs in IT where a
specific certificate is part of the screening criteria for a job. This
obviously isn't true for all jobs, but it depends on the field you're
going into.

My own personal opinion is that students coming out of college are not
four years behind. I just personally don't feel that the industry moves
that quickly. I would agree that colleges don't keep up with the
industry, but I wouldn't say things are changing every few months. I was
using Python in the mid 90's, so it isn't new.

I'd say the problems with most four year schools is that they teach
theoretical computer science. The focus is on programming. They don't
spend enough time on testing, writing test plans, design reviews,
maintaining existing code and the kind of things you'll spend most of
your time on in the real world. I'd strongly suggest internships. That's
where you can prove you know what it's like when you get out of school.

I also personally look for people who want to learn. If you have the
basics in college then you know how to program, and picking up a new
language shouldn't be a problem. I learned Pascal in college 30 years
ago, but I never coded a single line of Pascal in the work place.
Internships and working on your own picking up languages or joining an
open source project are good ways to demonstrate your willingness to
learn and pick up new skills.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail