[nfbcs] Computer science major college question

rjaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 02:13:10 UTC 2016

Hello:

     I received a BS/CS from Oregon State in 1976. I went on to work for
Tektronix writing the backends for a cross compiler. I never used the
calculus, differential equasions, Linear algebra or computational theory.
The actual language courses and the courses on compilers and assemblers were
the most useful. Probably the most useful courses I took were the project
courses where I spent a whole term on a project. I did have quite a struggle
when I first started to work because I hadn't spent enough time coding and
writing programs. I had almost no adaptive technology to use in college
except for a Perkins brailler and a tape recorder. Tektronix did purchase a
Triformation LED120 braille embosser and after sorting out the kinks in that
machine, I was actually able to become a productive member of the team. My
suggestion is that a student should do lots of projects. Start with small
ones and work up to bigger ones. Internships are also a good idea. Hope this
helps.

Regards,

Robert