[nfbcs] Computer science major college question

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jul 6 12:14:20 UTC 2016

I want to add 2 things to Nicole's well-thought-out post.
In my office, communications skills are essential for everyone.  Even people
who mostly write code still have to communicate clearly with the rest of the
team, and often with their users.  Sometimes it's through email, and
sometimes speaking with the other person.  Either way, it has to be
effective.  So classes in communication skills, like writing or presenting,
are useful.

And to another of Nicole's points, not only do other people not know what
blind people need, they often make assumptions about what we need which are
completely wrong.
Back when I went to college, my school had no disabled student services
department at all.  I had to make all my own arrangements to get textbooks
and take tests.  It was a pain, but I learned how to do it, and how to
explain to authority figures like professors exactly what I needed.  I think
the experience did a lot for me, once I graduated.  I'm sure it's very nice
for someone else to make all those arrangements, but I am concerned that
blind students get used to someone else handling all that stuff.  Maybe
someone will be around to keep making arrangements, at least the first time,
when the student graduates and gets a job, but mostly you're on your own,
and you have to know how to manage your accessibility needs yourself. Like
Nicole said, if you sit back and wait for someone else to figure it out, it
may never happen, or you may not actually get what you need.  If you don't
know what you need, you have to know what resources to tap to figure it out.
I sometimes wonder if that's why some blind people are unemployed--that it's
such a huge hassle sometimes to figure out access problems.  Jumping down
from my soapbox.
Tracy