[nfbcs] IE with Modal Screen Readers was RE: trouble with JAWS on web site

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Jun 5 00:39:54 UTC 2016

	Okay, so I do not know how this is with Narrator and other screen
readers, but the following is true for JAWS and NVDA.
	When native HTML controls are used, and the browser does the event
handling, the control responds to the appropriate keystrokes, click, and,
usually, whatever the browser sends in response to an accessibility event,
which is what NVDA and JAWS send by default instead of a key sequence when
space or enter is pressed; newer versions of JAWS have an option to send a
key sequence for enter instead of firing an accessibility event. I do not
why JAWS and NVDA have this behavior, but my guess is that, historically,
people forgot to add keyboard handling.
	People often either make their own controls from scratch using ARIA
and event handling or use native HTML controls but their own event handling.
When this happens, they often respond to mouse down or, more commonly, mouse
up.
	So, what is the problem? The problem is that, in response to an
accessibility event, IE sends only a click, which does not activate controls
that listen on mouse up. That is why so many websites do not work in IE but
work in Firefox or possibly Chrome.
	Some work arounds are:
1. Use Firefox
2. Link ActivationEnter is set to send enter instead of mouse click
3. Use JAWS key 3 to pass the next keystroke through to the application
instead of letting JAWS intercept it
4. Toggle the virtual cursor using JAWS key z

HTH,
Nicole