[nfbcs] Linux questions. With orca.

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:31:16 UTC 2016

In some cases, I had to use something other than Orca, but for the most
part, it's because I just preferred another option.

I did have to use Google Docs, and at the time, ChromeVox with Chrome
was the only option. It was actually a good option, because I could
actually collaborate with my peers and we could all work on the same
document simultaneously.

I used Emacspeak for my own personal notes, calendar, personal
information management with Org-mode, file management  and editing. I
could have easily used Orca with graphical tools instead.

Most of what I did I did with graphical apps and Orca, but I liked
having Speakup available to me as a fall back option.

Currently for personal use I use Orca and Emacspeak now. I'll
occasionally bringup Chrome with ChromeVox just because a web page may
work better with it, but that's no different than occasionally using
Firefox or NVDA on my Windows machine at the office. I very occasionally
bring up Speakup in a console, but like I said, I like having it as an
option.

Are you having trouble with flat review in the terminal using Orca? I
haven't noticed a problem with this.

For presentations, I mainly used a LaTex class called Beamer.

On 08/11/16 04:33, ronak shah via nfbcs wrote:
> [...]
> it speaks sometimes, some comands properly, but many times it just stops to
> speak.
>
> Also in libra for the power points, orca responds to actualy nothing at all
> as soon as I open the screen.
>
> For java I will start useing emax editer.
>
> Thanks once again,
> Regards,
> Ron.
>
> On Nov 8, 2016 10:38 AM, "Christopher Chaltain via nfbcs" <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I used Ubuntu on the job for two years. Fortunately, this was for a
>> company where they cared about the results and didn't worry too much about
>> the tools you used. I still use Ubuntu at home almost exclusively. The only
>> time I've booted into Windows in 2016 was when I needed to run iTunes to
>> remove the password from my iPhone backup.
>>
>> I mostly used Orca, but in addition, I also used Emacspeak, Speakup and
>> ChromeVox with Chrome.
>>
>> On 07/11/16 11:05, Deborah Armstrong via nfbcs wrote:
>>
>>> Do you absolutely have to use Orca? My experience with Orca is that it is
>>> fun to play with but not fast or reliable enough for employment-related
>>> tasks. Others on the list are free of course to disagree; this is just my
>>> experience.
>>>
>>> If you install Orca yourself from Ubuntu, it's also my experience you
>>> won't get anything better than what you'd have with Vinux, where all the
>>> dependencies and conflicts have been worked out for you.
>>>
>>> If you need to do technical things, like C++ or Python, the command line
>>> is fine for that. I've also heard that Eclipse wasn't entirely accessible
>>> with Orca. For Powerpoint, you might try using Google slides with Firefox
>>> under Orca. I was fooling with that last year and it seemed to work well.
>>>
>>> As for magnifier, you might have a video driver issue. To test this you
>>> could try Vinux in a VM or find another machine. I've had to compile way
>>> too many kernel patches and video drivers to get our home TV server working
>>> to have any objective view of this, but it seems like video issues are
>>> quite common. For example I currently have six security cameras that I can
>>> easily access from Windows, but whose images are fuzzy under Linux.
>>> Actually, it's my sighted husband who says they are fuzzy; it's me whose
>>> trying to figure out why.  If this were a work situation, it would be
>>> impractical to have a blind person working on this video issue, but because
>>> it's a home situation it's not.
>>>
>>> One last thing: when I was more actively fooling with Vinux, there was a
>>> low-vision guy who was accessing it through a Windows VM using Zoom-text as
>>> his magnifier. That sounds real awkward, but it was working for him.
>>>
>>> In general if you do any Linux stuff, it's a good idea to get a few older
>>> computers; even if they work too slow for the real world, you can test out
>>> issues to see if they are specific to your work PC.

>>> Ron.
>>> nfbcs:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nfbnet.o
>>> rg_mailman_options_nfbcs-5Fnfbnet.org_armstrongdeborah-2540f
>>> hda.edu&d=CwICAg&c=xoYdONxMEGxjdvKj5bOdEOV28uakaJ20R4TjadGGZ
>>> Bc&r=gcvya4Pqy0A2EsMRyTgo_3n3PIn53GqWAnSNzbIFuBs&m=My90cvsYI
>>> wgRQYe6KkhrXQHNKFPt8Y4TJ29GJ0st9tY&s=Q8XA2gJO5SX4V0BqhYlBGbW
>>> KMwpgrKCAiz8DrLQdskI&e=

>>> nfbcs:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/chaltain%40gmail.com
>>>

>> --