[nfbcs] [program-l] Re: Communication with people who don't use screen readers

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson-visi at outlook.com
Sun Oct 9 23:50:00 UTC 2016

Sabra,

Please understand that I was not advocating some of what you said in your note.  My suggestion of using a reader was intended to be used until one got a handle on the accessible aspects of software.  In my case, I found it easier to understand what the keystrokes did if I understood how others used the software.  The goal was to get to a point where I could use the software independently.  Certainly I became somewhat aware of what some of the icons looked like, but my goal was to as quickly as I could, get a sense of what the software did without trying to learn the accessibility at the exact same time.  There is nothing in what I am trying to say that endorses writing software that excludes blind people, though.  Also, each of us is different, with different skills and weaknesses.  What I suggested worked for me, but it may or may not work for you.  You could be quicker at associating keystrokes with what your professor says than I was, for example.  My whole point was just to lay out another possible option, which was never meant to imply that you always use a reader or that you couldn't be independent.  That was apparently not clear and I am sorry for that.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson