[nfbcs] Terminal emulation and Jaws

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu Oct 13 16:22:21 UTC 2016

Insert-7 is Window class reassign and you can also find it in the list with insert-F2 which lists the JAWS managers.

However, that only works for default behavior, for example if something is a tree view but JAWS doesn't know that's what this control is. You point to the tree view, use the feature to tell JAWS it's a tree view and now when you arrow up and down, left and right, JAWS reads correctly.

I'm thinking that the actual scripts refer to a particular Window class, in pseudocode

If WindowClass equals 3270 emulator
Then
    Read New text
Else
    Speak only highlighted text

I think I'm barking up the wrong tree if you didn't have to change the version of the emulator. I wish I knew more how the scripts worked. If you disabled them on the system where TN3270 works OK with JAWS, can you read the screen at all? That is, do the scripts make is more convenient, or is nothing read if they are not in the mix?