[nfbcs] Research

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:49:38 UTC 2017

This is going to sound odd but I work for a major technology company. I can not think of a single person in my group with a CS degree. More common in fact are fine arts degrees, like mine, history and humanities and music. We have some people including a supervisor who have no college degree at all, he came out of the military. We are all doing very technical work much of which involves coding which we all seemed to have learned as we needed it.

So is having a CS degree a guarantee of a good job at a technology firm? Silicon Valley is filled up with CS graduates working at Starbucks so the answer is clearly no. IS not have such a degree going to keep you form a career at such a firm, well my experience the answer no as well.

Greg