[nfbcs] Research

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:53:34 UTC 2017

It is true that a CS degree will not guarantee you a job, and it's also
true that not everyone working in the technology field has a CS degree.
I've been a hiring manager in the technology field for over 15 years,
and I've worked for three different companies during that time. Most of
the positions I've helped staff have required a CS, CE or I degree or
equivalent experience. Obviously, if you're a recent college graduate,
it's going to be hard to have that equivalent experience if you don't
have a technical degree.

My advice to anyone going into the technology field would be to pursue
the appropriate degree. If you want to go into software engineering then
I'd recommend a CS or a CE degree. If you want to go into some other
area of IT then an associates degree or a relevant certificate may be
appropriate.

Whether you have a technical degree or not, internship experience is
key. As I think someone else pointed out, nothing prepares you for the
real world better than experience. Volunteering or contributing to an
open source project will also help you stand out by showing your
commitment and demonstrating your experience. All college graduates,
especially from the same university, look the same. Internships and
other experience can help you stand out.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail