[nfbcs] Does anyone know if it matters?

Ed Barnes edbarnes7 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 18:03:12 UTC 2017

Hi Jim, yes it does matter, two computers can not have the same
computer name if they are ever going to reside on the same wired or
wireless network so you inevitably have to rename one of them.

It does not matter which computer you rename.

If you are feeling adventurous you can rename the new windows 10
device as part of your learning process or if you prefer and you're
feeling less adventurous you can simply rename the older windows 7
device.

Two computers attempting to co-exist on the same network will also
result in an infinite number of packet colisions so they will generate
much more network traffic on your wired or wireless network and
degrade its performance.

You may also encounter ip address conflicts.

Sorry I can't speak to how the two computers having the same name
would affect bt connectivity as I don't connect any bt devices to
either of my laptops here at home but I can't imagine that it would be
a good thing.

All the laptops and desktops I support at work are named according to
the asset sticker we affix to the device when it is initially unboxed
and setup/imaged so every device has an unique name, example the last
device I imaged and setup earlier this week was a Lenovo thinkpad l560
and the asset sticker I put on it was 043628S.

I also don't have any bt devices at work to use to test this to assist
you further.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best, Ed.