[nfbcs] Does anyone know if it matters?

Ed Barnes edbarnes7 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 19:08:55 UTC 2017

Hi all, for what it is worth on this thread, I'm going to stand behind
the original answer I gave regarding this topic, having two computers
on the same network with the same hostname is not recommended, there
are multiple reasons why it can cause problems, if it does not do so
right now, whose to say that it will not in the month's to come
depending upon the software and hardware which is added to either of
the two computers.
I've been doing desktop support for the last 13 years initially for
Aliant Telco from 2003-2006 and for the provincial government in the
Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador from 2006-present and I
suspect that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't
recommended to change the computername of one of Jim's two devices
even if things may work with conflicting computernames on the network
right now.
I can think of several pieces of software off the top of my head where
conflicting computernames would cause failures and/or issues with
licensing and I'm sure there are others.
Examples include but are not limited to things like: Landesk client,
PowerBuilder, and many others.
Good luck and hth - Ed.