[nfbcs] Antiviral programs

Chris Nestrud ccn at chrisnestrud.com
Mon May 15 15:32:09 UTC 2017

Just a few quick thoughts:

I would use Windows Defender or similar. Microsoft has the resources to make a
decent product. Many similar products have had recent vulnerabilities;
see https://cve.mitre.org and search for a product of interest.

Consider that these products can only act on
known signatures or known behavior patterns. You should practice defense
in depth and always ask yourself what would happen if a particular layer
is compromised. In your case, perhaps storing your financial information
in an encrypted container and only mounting that container when
necessary. VeraCrypt at https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/ is worth a look,
though you should perform your own research.

It also looks like Stanford may already provide antimalware software.
See:

https://uit.stanford.edu/software/antimalware

Good luck!

Chris