[nfbcs] With silent disk, how do you know?

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Sun Apr 1 20:18:52 UTC 2018

I just wanted to tell everyone that I find this issue and people's
solutions to it to be highly interesting. The reason is, for most
purposes I'm considered totally blind. However, my useable vision works
well enough that I can do certain things (avoiding large obsticles and
the like), and detecting whether status lights are on happens to be one
of them. I can even tell if the start menu pops up when I hit the key
for it (a common method I use for detecting lock-ups if the screen
reader isn't working), although I can't read or interact with the menu
using vision. How to do it when you absolutely can't see them and can't
ask someone who can is a problem to which I hadn't given a lot of
thought. I had given thought to detecting if normal lights or lamps are
on because of totally blind friends and signifficant others, but this is
a diffferent sort of issue that I hadn't really considered.

--
Joe