[nfbcs] Old braille display, new computer

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Apr 11 14:02:28 UTC 2018

You may need some driver software that is hard to find. But if that's not the issue, remember that when you plug one of these USB-to-serial adapters in, it creates a virtual serial port. You can find out what COM port number has been assigned to your device by looking in Device Manager (at least that's where you find it in Windows 7). I have seen it in Windows 10, also. Windows 10 disables some USB-to-serial cables. This happened to me with cables from RadioShack, which identified themselves as manufactured by Prolific, but apparently were not.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.