[nfbcs] Old braille display, new computer

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Apr 18 15:19:47 UTC 2018

Tracy,

What I have done to try to troubleshoot this kind of thing is to create a
small text file using NotePad or something similar.  Then, I would open a
command prompt and copy my text file to a COM port to see if I can get that
to work.  You might want to create or move your text file into the directory
that is opened by default when you start a command prompt.  You probably
know this already, but the command would be something like

COPY TEST.TXT COM3:

But you may also have to do something to be certain the com port is
correctly initialized to the parameters that your braille display requires.
If you can get your braille display to display the content of your text
file, you at least know you have a connection.  In the command prompt, it is
the "MODE" command that can be used to set the serial parameters.  However,
there may be a way to do it in Windows depending upon the driver for your
cable and converter.  I ran an Artic Transport this way under Windows 7 but
don't remember how initialization was handled.  If the connection works, one
might have to supply the serial parameters to JAWS somewhere.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson