[nfbcs] Creating Jaws or NVDA Accessible UML and ER Diagrams

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 16 19:59:58 UTC 2018

For ER diagrams, I assign an object to one type of shape (say square) and its attributes to another shape (say circle). I then position an object on the x-y grid, position its attributes a few spaces away on multiple sides, and draw undirected lines between objects and attributes. For inheritance, I draw directed lines between objects. I try to arrange objects and attributes so that attributes are to the left and right of objects (and at slight angles if needed to fit all attributes) and related objects up and down from each other.

This is just a method I used in the past and is just a template; you should use your own creativity combined with instructor preferences for your graphs. Just be sure to clearly describe the choices that you made to your instructor in case it looks slightly different from the conventions used by sighted students.

I've never made a UML diragram. If it can be made with line and node graphs, then you should be able to do it with GSK.