[nfbcs] python editor

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 23 14:01:51 UTC 2018

Tyler,

I have used UltraEdit for a long time now for a number of different kinds of
text applications.  I have not taken advantage of all of its ability to be
tailored to specific languages, though, but it seems to have a lot of
capabilities including those you mention.  Running a compiler can be
configured from inside, for example, and there is a lot of capability to do
automatic syntax highlighting as well as code folding, etc.  It is not a
free program, though, but there is a trial version that would give you a
chance to see if it meets your needs.  I have also used NotePad Plus Plus
but have found that to be problematic for me but the price is right.
NoteTab Pro is also a pretty powerful editor that some have used
successfully.  UltraEdit isn't perfect, either, but it is closest to what I
generally need.  It is so configurable, though, that it takes some work to
get it just as you want it.  I turned off line numbers and the current line
indicator as they seemed to interfere with cursor tracking.  If you find
this to be an option worth looking at, I would strongly recommend that you
figure out whether it supports the features you want before you spend a lot
of time configuring.  The help files are pretty complete.

I know some have used Eclipse successfully, but I would guess you already
know that.  I found I could make it work, but it seemed somewhat sluggish on
my computers, but I didn't pursue trying to resolve that.

You can get information about UltraEdit at

http://www.ultraedit.com

and NoteTab Pro at

http://www.notetab.com

for starters.

I have not used NoteTab for some time now so possibly it isn't as accessible
as it once was, but I believe I've read on other lists that blind people are
still using it.

My usage is not going to be the same as yours, but I hope you find these
worth looking at.  Let me know if you have questions.  Even more important,
let us know if you find a particular product that you find useful.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson