[nfbcs] Where to start in computer science:

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:36:27 UTC 2018

Hi, it looks like this post has gotten a lot of attention, but I would
like to add a couple things that have not been mentioned.

I can't speak personally on learning latex, but have had some
experience dealing with reading it. One of my teachers used latex to
write his assignments, and with out knowing latex previously, I was
not in a great position since the pdf's my professor generated were
not accessible. I downloaded the MiKTeX latex compiler, and found that
using htlatex, you can  convert the latex code to math ML, which is
very accessible. You are honestly better off learning latex than
depending on this to convert the code into a more readable format, but
it is another resource.

My best suggestion for resources for learning is bookshare if you have
access to it. There are a lot of books on programming available
through bookshare, and after a quick search, it looks like there are
some books on latex as well. I will caution you if you download a book
on python from here, at least from my experience, Jaws or NVDA would
not read the indentations very well. For learning python, starting
with some web resources may be best, an as you learn how the spacing
works, You may want to get a book from bookshare.

I have used python for the past couple years and like it a lot. I also
use ED sharp for all of my other programming languages that I use.
Jaws and NVDA do not read indentations by default, you have to go into
the settings and enable that feature.

TJ Breitenfeldt