[nfbcs] Speech on Demand Frustrations

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:50:32 UTC 2018

I am out of school now, but while I was in school, their solution was that I had to wait until a lab assistant was available to unmute the computer. Sometimes I needed to use the school computers because they had special software on them and because they had windows and I had a Mac. They had to get jaws on one of the computers for me and that was the one I was supposed to use. However, the computer was always muted. I finally complained about this enough that they put a note on the computer I was supposed to use that other people just had to leave it alone. I don't understand why they could not just have added a shortcut to Enu the computer or work something else out though. Even if people left that computer alone, it would still be muted if it ever had to be restarted for any reason. This was also the case at my first university except there, I never did get it resolved. It took me 15 or 20 minutes to get logged in because I had to wait until a lab assistant was available. The lab assistants at my first university were never the same, and it took forever to get them two unmute the computer. At my first university, jaws also would not start up until after you were logged in. And at my first university, The computers would freeze up and just stop talking. This happened a lot in one particular location. NVDA was being used there, but jaws would do it too. Back then, we did not have speech on the man that I know of, and I really wish that we had. I also like how these new version of jaws will override the computer's mute feature. At my first university when I complained about the whole thing, they said just to be patient. It isn't really about being patient though even if the process was quick. It is about the fact that a sighted person had to be a gatekeeper to whether I could use the computer when other students did not have a gatekeeper. I am so glad to be out of school now. I never want to go back. The environment at both of my universities was so hostile for me as a blind student. I would not wish that environment even on someone I disliked. It was very detrimental, and now I have really bad anxiety to the point where I can't write anymore or do the things that I used to be able to do. I have always been sensitive to loud noises. Whenever a loud noise comes, I feel like I am being stabbed. Not exactly like being stabbed, but I don't know any other way to describe it. I guess it is kind of a mixture between a stab, electrical shock, and a throbbing sensation that sort of Terrace through my body. But anyways, I used to be able to tolerate loud noises even though it would take a large amount of my energy to do so, but as my anxiety increased, I could not tolerate loud noises more and more to the point where I had to wait until night time to go to the grocery store and I had to mostly avoid environments like the mall. My friend introduced me to these special type of earplugs that I now have to use in these environments, but it is better to be able to use that your plugs and still be able to go there. I was supposed to get my Bachelors in computer information systems, but I switched to business management at the last minute so I could get out a semester early. I thought that while I was in school I realized how difficult it was, but I now realize that I did not fully understand how harmful of environment I wasn't until I got out. I am now looking for a job, but school took everything out of me to the point that I really can't do anything anymore, so I don't know how I will be able to work. I used to have so much energy and be able to do so many things, but not anymore. I worked so hard to get this degree because I thought it would up my job prospects, but now I am thinking that getting that degree was not worth it because of what it did to me. Everyone else talked about school as though it was so great and they found themselves and they decided what they wanted to do all of this exciting stuff. But yes, I do not have to worry about a computer being neutered or not because I am now out of school and jobless. I don't even know what I want to do anymore because I don't feel excited about anything the way I used to. I'm just kind of applying for everything and hoping that something find me and maybe I will get excited for it once I am doing it. I had hoped to become an author and finally publish my novel, but I can't because I can't right. You might say that I am writing right now, but I would argue that this message is very disorganized. Also, going off preestablished patterns that have been drawn into my mind is not the same as being able to create something good without a pattern the way I used to be able to.

Sabra Ewing