[nfbcs] With silent disk, how do you know?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Tue Mar 27 15:20:51 UTC 2018

My technique is similar, though now without Radio Shack I haven't located alternative sources for these two items:

I bought a telephone pickup coil, also called an induction coil (looks like a suction cup on a microphone cable with a mini plug at the other end) and a $25.00 small battery-powered amplifier. I can use the coil-and-amp
combination to detect lots of things with more precision than an AM radio I think: CPU activity, drive (sometimes even SSD) activity, fan speed, router status and, to some extent, throughput, etc.

But each device is unique; you learn what yours sound like in various states.