[nfbcs] first message with braille keyboard

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Tue Mar 27 17:20:16 UTC 2018

So I actually learned about this feature in IOS from another blind guy
while sitting on top of a rock formation called The Sentinel in
Mississippi Palasades State Park in Illinois. That's another interesting
story. Anyway, In IOS, you can enable a feature that allows you to type
as if you're using a braille keyboard. So to type the letter m, for
example, you'd tap the index and ring finger on your left hand and the
index finger on your right hand at the same time. That would be dots 1,
3, and 4.

I have only just started using this feature myself and I got cramps in
my hands just typing out that short first message. But I think I'll get
better with practice.  I would say that when I get going, I am probably
already faster than I am with the regular qwerty keyboard on my iphone.
I can sometimes type a bunch of characters in a row. Then I get off the
mark and it starts putting in nonsense characters. But at one point it
put the integral symbol in the message so that is actually a good sign.
I have no idea how I got it to do that though.

Enabling the braille keyboard is buried deep in the accessibility
settings somewhere. Here is a link to a blog about it:
http://bdmtech.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-in-ios-8-built-in-braille-keyboard.html