[nfbcs] Help with Jaws API for Java project

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 04:47:37 UTC 2018

Hi , I am working on a java project similar to accessible _output2 for
python that will provide speech and braille output for various
screenreaders. I have NVDA working great, now I am working on Jaws.
This is going to be a cross platform library.

I was looking into the Jaws API,trying to locate the needed library
and function calls, and I am having some difficulty. I was having a
tough time finding information on the Jaws API, the only thing I could
find was a post that was made in reply to someone else inquiring about
this.

https://www.freelists.org/post/jawsscripts/FW-FSAPIdll

I will note that ,I was unable to figure out how to access jaws
through the com ports, so I am accessing the function calls through
the dll. .

There was useful information at that link, but I am unable to get it
working . My first problem is that I found several files named
FSAPI.dll on my computer. I am not sure if there is a difference
between them , if there is a 32-bit and 64-bit dll, or if they are all
the same. I tried all of ones I could find and all of them said the
function call
SayString(String, boolean) could not be found.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Error
looking up function 'SayString': The specified procedure could not be
found.

I can paste the full error if someone wants, but I am not sure if it
is my java code, as much as it is my lack of information about the
Jaws API. For completeness though, I am using the third party library
jna-4.5.1.jar, which is a wrapper for the java native library for
accessing low level libraries such as dlls.

Does anyone have more information about the Jaws API, and how to make
calls to it, so that I can pass client strings to Jaws for speech and
braille?

Thanks,

TJ Breitenfeldtb