[NFBCS] Linux users

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Mon Aug 5 15:05:54 UTC 2019

Hi Bryan,

I wonder if you're thinking of running espeak via the command line.
Speakup is a kernel-based screen reader for the console. You'll need orca
for anything graphical (firefox for instance, or LibreOffice if you use
that, although you can also use LaTeX or markdown to write documents).
Orca can also read the terminal, but you might choose to switch to a
console and use a screen reader such as speakup or fenrir if you're going
to be doing most of your work from the command line. I personally still
use yasr, with eflite as the speech server, but both of these have bugs
and issues that I haven't taken the time to fix, so getting them set up on
linux isn't that straight-forward. Fenrir is newer/more modern and
probably better designed, although I haven't tried it.