[NFBCS] FW: Hello from Visual Studio for Mac

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Fri Dec 20 21:14:15 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: program-l-bounce at freelists.org <program-l-bounce at freelists.org> On Behalf Of Dominic Nahous
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 4:04 PM
To: program-l at freelists.org
Subject: [program-l] Hello from Visual Studio for Mac

Hello all,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dominic Nahous and I'm a lead program manager for Visual Studio for Mac at Microsoft. One of my main areas of focus is ensuring the Visual Studio for Mac experience is accessible by all. While we've made significant investments in this area over the last year and will continue to do so, we also know there's still a lot more we can improve upon. In January, we plan to release Visual Studio for Mac version 8.4, which contains many changes, including complete rewrites of parts of the UI, that improve the experience using assistive technologies. In addition to the accessibility improvements, this is a particularly big release for us as it polishes up the ASP.NET Core developer experience, too.

If you develop C# .NET on the Mac and are interested in helping us shape the future direction of accessibility features in Visual Studio for Mac, please reach back out to me. I, and the rest of the Visual Studio for Mac team, would be extremely grateful for your time and feedback. We expect a lot of people to be updating to this version of Visual Studio for Mac and I really want to make sure we're on track for doing what's best for our community when it comes to support for assistive technologies.

A little extra information for those of you that might not be familiar with Visual Studio for Mac: it's not a direct port of the Windows version of Visual Studio and does not support all the workloads its Windows sibling supports. At the moment, Visual Studio for Mac is primarily a .NET development environment that supports C# game development with Unity, mobile development with Xamarin, and .NET Core development, including ASP.NET Core.

If you ever have any questions about accessibility features in Visual Studio for Mac now, or in the future, you can reach out on this list or to me directly. The team and I are always happy to help.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Dominic Nahous
Senior Lead Program Manager
Visual Studio for Mac