[nfbcs] My story

Selvin Linder linder.selvin23 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:24:34 UTC 2019

Hey NFB I wrote this story and this is a true story. you are welcome to
read it.

Selvin Linder

DRE 097

January 9, 2019

N. Bell

All about Me

I have been visually impaired all my life. I was born in Guatemala.  I was
born with eye cataracts. The doctors performed operation. They removed my
cataracts and lenses.  I started wearing glasses when I came to the US when
I was 9 years old, in 2008. My vision is 20/200. When I was in elementary
school I was given large print books. The doctors wanted to do more
operations when my eyes pupils finish growing, which will be sometime in my
adulthood.

I started learning Braille in 2017 through an online school called the
Hadley school for the blind in Illinois. They also taught me English
because Spanish was my first language. I attend school from home over the
computer and Braille books that were sent to my house. Braille helps me a
lot because instead of using my eyes I can read raised dots on a page. The
good thing about Braille is it helps because I cannot read regular print
for a long period. The reason why is because my eyes get tired and sore.

My visual impairment is hard to deal with, because to be able to read and
write things I must enlarge things to be able to see them. Since my vision
is near sighted, I cannot read street signs so I cannot drive because I
cannot see from far away. When I do tasks around the house such as building
and helping my Dad do things, I have to do things by touch. For example, I
cannot see where screws go so I feel where the screw goes. I also take
longer to read things since I must enlarge things. I work extra hard to do
things in school because of my vision.

The reason why I am attending ACC is because I want to be an Information
Technology help desk person for my career.  The reason I chose Information
Technology is that this field of study helps me a lot because I can do many
of the things on the computer.  I also wanted to be able to help others use
the computer. I always loved computers as I was growing up.

I also think that ACC had a good High school program called the CCP program
because the classes were free of charge. I think ACC is a good school to be
in. The staff are very nice and encouraging. The disability services were
very helpful with setting accommodations. Plus, the class sizes are very
small so the teacher knows your name. This is why I think this is related.
Just because of my vision being the way it is right know. I have to do
things certain ways. This is why I like ACC. They give everyone equal
learning opportunities.

--
*Selvin Linder *
*Phone: 336-645-0252 *