[nfbcs] Accessible Code Editors

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:53:37 UTC 2019

If you want simple, then the two most commonly used coding editors are
Notepad++ which was mentioned before, and my preference ED Sharp.

Notepad++ always bothered me because Jaws would not read the text that
I was selecting. Jaws is my preferred screenreader, and it just got
irritating so I stopped using Notepad++. Maybe that bug got fixed, I
don't know, I have not looked at Notepad++ in a year or two. That
being said, I don't believe NVDA has any problems with Notepad++.

Ed Sharp is a project that was created for the site impaired. It is
similar to Notepad++ in some areas. Both are very wattered down
Intigrated Development Environments (IDE) though. ED Sharp is created
to work with screenreaders, and even installs custom jaws scripts for
the application to fine tune how Jaws interacts with ED Sharp.

Both Notepad++ and ED Sharp provide more or less the same
functionallities, and as far as I can tell, they are the two most
commonly used in the blind community when it comes to simple code
editors. Probably Notepad++ is used more with NVDA mostly because it
is mainstream.

Just so you know, if you ever want to go farther, visual studeo is
also accessible, but it is overkill if all you are doing is HTML and
CSS. It is more used if you ever start programming in javascript, or
ASP.net. It has a tun of features, more than you will probably ever
need, and it tends to lag quite a bit. It is worth it if you are using
the languages I mentioned above though. Note, visual studio supports
far more languages than the ones I mentioned.

TJ Breitenfeldt