[NFBCS] Accessible math content

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed Jul 17 00:16:44 UTC 2019

Hi. So I think that being a Braille reader and utilizing math content
are likely not entirely independent variables. That being said, I
agree that it is important to have solutions beyond Braille.

What concerns me with MathML is that it is a system which is almost
entirely designed to be consumed first. In other words, I may be able
to read mathML with a good screen reader and browser, and perhaps a
plugin, but writing it is a completely different matter. However,
students need to be able to not only read math, but also to write it.

When I was working on this problem for Instructure, for their Canvas
LMS product, we allowed users to consume math content either in LaTex,
or MathML. It was their choice. They could then give their answers in
LaTex. This was all made possible, and far simpler than it should have
been, thanks to the MathJax library.

Good luck.

Aaron