[NFBCS] Computer mic recommendations?

Michael McQuaid mickmcquaid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:46:09 UTC 2019

The Sound Professionals mic that Curtis suggested may be overkill for your
application. It might be better suited to recording a live concert. It is a
stereo microphone, which you do not need for video conferencing and has no
computer direct connection.

For your application, I suggest something cheaper like the Logitech USB
Headset H390 with noise cancelling mic. This and similar headsets are
widely available for about one third of the price of the Sound
Professionals offering. It would likely work well if your computer has a
free USB port.

The audio quality is more a function of microphone position than any other
factor, so getting it close to your mouth is a big advantage. The audio
quality of the low-cost USB headsets is not great but is adequate for
spoken word applications. The cutting out of audio that you experience is
more likely a network connection issue than a fault of your laptop's
microphone, by the way. I hope this helps and I want to emphasize that I
mean no disrespect to Curtis's audio choices. I just think they are too
high end for video conferencing.

- Mick