[NFBCS] Sonification of graphs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Apr 1 13:04:21 UTC 2020

I heard a piece on Marketplace on NPR last night that played a graph
sonification.  Where a print graph line would go up and down, the sound went
up and down a piano keyboard.  It was so great.  I understood immediately
what it was showing, even without the presenter's detailed explanation.

I sure wish there were more sonified graphs out there, or there was a bit of
software I could run that would grab a print graph and sonify it.  I expect
it wouldn't work for all graphs, but even some would be helpful.

Tracy