[NFBCS] Slack, Teams, and Unigram JAWS scripts available; and other related news

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Tue Apr 7 06:11:27 UTC 2020

[I posted an older version of this notice a while back to GUI-Talk but thought I should post it here on NFBCS with updates. The NFB list moderator may further distribute this message.]

In recognition of the sudden increase in importance of telecommunication software, I present this in hopes it is useful to someone:

The offerings mentioned below are without charge. Primary offerings listed here are for Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Unigram (the Windows Telegram client).

I have scripted Slack for JAWS. The scripts and documentation can be had from https://www.dlee.org/slack/ (the installer download link is included in the users guide you get at that address).

Script features include
* Significant simplification of how messages are read, with a means for users to revert to the native presentation format.
* Commands to read individual portions of a message (date, time, sender, content, flags like reply and reaction counts, attachment info, reaction types, etc.).
* A command for listing buttons for quick activation. This is useful for answering and managing calls, for example.
* Quick identification, via the Insert+t say-title command, of when your microphone, camera, and screen sharing are turned on or off in a call.
* Commands to simulate F6 and Shift+F6 (for switching among screen areas) for those with keyboards that don't allow convenient function key access.
* Better reading of some fields and control types. This includes announcement of the values of menu options on Settings pages.
* No truncation of very long messages.

I am also working on enhancements to Teams for JAWS. What I have released for Teams can be had from https://www.dlee.org/teams/ and that is where released updates will go.
At this writing, most of the features listed above for Slack are also in the Teams scripts, including message reformatting and selective reading and the button list.

I additionally have JAWS scripts for the Unigram client for Telegram, which is the most accessible Windows Telegram client of which I am aware. Details and scripts for that are at https://www.dlee.org/unigram/

Anyone wanting a list of my public projects can find it at https://www.dlee.org

Finally, anyone wishing to follow my progress on the public software projects I run may do so by one of these means:
* Watch with a browser the Telegram channel at https://t.me/s/dlee_code for announcements of project updates.
* Join that channel in a Telegram client, including Unigram for Windows, from https://t.me/dlee_code
* To type at me about projects, join the discussion group paired with that channel. The address for that group is https://t.me/joinchat/OUU9GRieXgkcDYYdSXeGGQ
* Follow dlee_code on Twitter, where I have the Telegram channel (but not discussion group) posts automatically copied, at least for now.

I wish everyone the best in these trying times.

Level Access             doug.lee at LevelAccess.com    http://www.LevelAccess.com
"Pray devoutly, but hammer stoutly."
--Sir William G. Benham