[NFBCS] Accessibility of AWS Web Console

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:13:44 UTC 2020

Hi, I am currently going through training as a full stack web
developer, and we started working with AWS recently. I am a
screenreader user, and use NVDA and JAWS. I have found AWS to be
frustratingly accessible. In otherwords, accessible enough I think to
avoid a lawsuit. Has anyone approached AWS about the state of the
usability of AWS with screenreaders? Honestly, accessibility aside, as
a web developer, I can point out over a dozen problems with just the
HTML design, such as putting column headers in a separate table from
the body of the table.

I do know about the AWS CLI, and I have been using it, but it just is
sometimes easier to use the web console. I am getting the hang of the
user interface, but it is slow and frustrating that every time I
perform an action I get 0 feedback to weather anything happened, and
if anything did, where on the screen that new information is
presented. All of that aside, the AWS web console is inconsistent web
design, where some AWS services are easier to use than others because
the wizards have actual buttons rather than clickable text, or the
table column headers are apart of the same table as the body, etc...

Does anyone know if this problem has been brought to the attention of
AWS, what their response was, and if not, if there is enough
justification to take legal action to force Amazon's hand to fix the
problems?

Thanks,

Timothy Breitenfeldt

--