[NFBCS] Terminal emulation

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Tue Feb 11 16:35:32 UTC 2020

Windows 10 includes a beta version of OpenSsh.  I'm a Linux guy but I
support students, a lot of whom use Windows. I don't have jaws so I
can't test how well the OpenSsh client works with jaws but it seems to
work pretty well with nvda.  OpenSsh is an optional feature so you do
have to install it. But you don't need to download anything. . I am
guessing you need to be an admin but all you need to do is go into
Settings -> Apps -> Add a Feature and select OpenSsh Client. Your
desktop support people shouldn't have a problem with that.

If you are interested, here is a link to the documentation I wrote for
my students on using ssh and sshfs:
https://www.math.wisc.edu/wiki/index.php/Using_the_Wisconsin_Undergraduate_Research_Cluster(WURC)#Connecting_With_ssh

When I was checking out OpenSsh for Windows for my students, I noticed
that it recognizes ssh keys just like OpenSsh for Linux and Mac. It
creates a .ssh folder in your home directory just like the Linux and Mac
versions and you can put an ssh key in there to connect w/o using a
password. That's both more convenient and more secure.