[NFBCS] Virtual environments and Kali Linux

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 15:31:19 UTC 2020

It looks like no one has responded to this thread so I will give it a
shot. Your question is a bit vague, but if you are asking about your
options concerning creating a virtual environment for Kali Linux, I
have two suggestions.

The first would be creating a virtual machine as I am sure you know. I
hate using orical box, it has been a while since I have used it, but I
found it to be painful to use with a screenreader. I personally use VM
Ware Player. It has its limitations unless you want to pay, mainly
that you can only run one virtual machine at a time, but that has been
enough for me. I have installed Kali a few times in VM Ware, and found
it to be generally easy. Just create the VM, power it on, give it a
second then press s, and enter to start the command line speech
installation. Volume is something that I have struggled with a bit, I
have found that if your VM is two quite to here and pressing volume
keys is not helping much, go back to your host machine and checkout
the volume for VM Ware Player itself. You should have a slider for it
in Windows.
I am not super familiar with the tools in Kali, I have only used orca
with command line tools such as nMap

Anyways, the other option that I have not tried in Windows you could
try Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). I have seen that there is a
Kali distro for it. WSL is pretty cool because it allows you to create
a mini virtual machine terminal environment for a distrobution of
Linux. It allows you to interact with your Windows files and a Linux
file system all using Linux commands pretty smoothly. There are some
issues believe me, I just started using WSl with a Ubuntu distro a few
weeks ago for web development and dev opps, and installing things like
docker is not fun. Anyways, it is pretty cool, and accessible with
NVDA, but perhaps not as much with JAWS. One thing to keep in mind is
that if you use a distro of Kali Linux with WSL, in general all you
get is command line access to Kali tools and environment. There are
GUI Kali tools that you won't be able to use I think. There are
libraries that you can install in WSL that from my understanding are
supposed to give you access to a virtual Linux GUI for your distro,
but I have not tried it, and I don't have high hopes that it is
accessible. I have never tried installing or using linux screenreaders
like speakup or orca in WSl, I don't know if it would work and if it
would improve accessibility of those virtual GUI libraries.

That is just about all of my experience of Kali other than running
portable version of Kali, or duel booting, which is always an option
if you want to use Kali more often.

Timothy Breitenfeldt