[NFBCS] Should I migrate from "Norton Internet Security" to "Norton 360"?

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Feb 17 01:00:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have been using "Norton Internet Security" for more than 10 years.
Now I should renew my subscription again and they advised me to migrate
to "Norton 360", because Norton Internet Security is too old.  They will
continue to support Norton Internet Security as long as I continue using
it, but, once I migrate to Norton 360, I can't go back to "Internet
Security", according to what they told me.
My concern is that I might not be able to use Norton 360 as I use Norton
Internet Security now, because of accessibility matters.

I'm totally blind and I'm using a 64-bit Dell computer with Windows 10
home (Ver. 1903) and NVDA.

I managed to use Norton Internet Security to do some basic tasks, such
as Live Update, Quick Scan and On-Demand Scan.  I can see the scan
results by exporting them to a file and reading it with a text editor.
Also I can see the result of Norton Insight by copying the data to the
clipboard.  I use the review cursor functions of NVDA to find the export
and copy buttons by going left or right with NVDA key plus 6/4 on the
numeric keypad. To find the functions I use the task bar or the
Applications key after selecting a certain file on the File Explorer.
For other tasks, unfortunately, I need assistance, for example, when a
new program is stopped.
NVDA can read some other dialogs shown by Norton, but, unfortunately,
many buttons are not labelled: you could click and activate a certain
button, but you have to guess what it is; NVDA will say just "Button".

I don't want to use an antivirus from another vendor, because I'm very
happy with my experience with Norton. I have never had computer problems
caused by viruses; I have never reinstalled Windows or lost data.

Another concern is that you can use cloud backup with Norton 360 and I
don't want my data to go online. They told me that such function is off
by default, but I worry that I could activate it without realizing it.

Has someone migrated to Norton 360?
If so, how is your accessibility experience, particularly in comparison
with "Norton Internet Security"?

I still have about two weeks to decide.

Thanks,
George