[NFBCS] Windows 7 vs Windows 10

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Feb 20 00:53:36 UTC 2020

Tracy,

Windows 7 was designed for older machines with less capacity than newer
machines.  Windows 10 is designed for newer machines.  If you use
Windows 10 with an older machine, it should be very slow or not usable,
or, in some cases, even incompatible because of older hardware and
drivers not supported on Windows 10. So, it's always advisable to buy a
newer, faster and more advanced, computer when you upgrade to a new
system after a long time, I understand.
However, we should be careful.  We should check by ourselves that the
computer is more advanced and faster and this can depend on the vendor,
the manufacturer, the drivers and other software, particularly the
antivirus, used, the real specifications of the machine, the unnecessary
software running, the errors that can occur due to a bad configuration,
or low-quality software/hardware, ETC.
Specially for us, because we use screen reading and magnifying software,
this problem can be more serious.

I think that it might be better to pay a little more and buy a computer
that lets us work comfortably for 8 or 10 years. One of my friends had
to buy an expensive machine and he regretted that for a while.  Then he
bought another computer and, at that time, he chose the computer based
on its price.  Then, he regretted it, because all the headaches he got,
caused by the problems with that cheap computer: it never broke down,
but was slow for unknown reasons, suddenly turned on from the sleeping
mode, it frequently became unresponsive, ETC.
He says that he will buy an expensive computer next time, because he
prefers spending more to having headaches all the time.  He says he will
buy a Fujitsu laptop again, because he wants to work comfortably again
as before.  He says that some hundreds of dollars more means nothing if
you consider the comfort you get when you use a high-quality laptop
every day for about 8 years.

If you're going to buy a new laptop for your husband, maybe you should
try another store or another maker. Trying another screen reader,
magnifying application or another antivirus might help, also. Check if
your laptop has SSD memory, because SSD is much faster than hard discs.

George