[NFBCS] Windows 7 vs Windows 10

Alan K. Martinez alan.k.martinez.02 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:30:12 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

I’m chiming in late and might not be very helpful but…

I mainly use Lenovo ThinkPads.  I’ve been a ThinkPad fan since the mid 90’s when they  were designed and built by IBM.  I have a collection of ThinkPad T series laptops with a few X models and a W or mobile workstation.

The recent modesl are very easy to open and upgrade with a few screws on the under side and flipping it over and shifting the keyboard a bit and it pretty much opens right up with direct access to the drive bay and memory slots.

A few models you might not even have to go through a lot of trouble and just have to remove one screw, open the panel it holds and you have access to the drive and memory bay.  The models I have support M.2 SSD’s and the tradition 2.5” HDD/SSD drive bay.

I’m in the process of repairing my ThinkPad W540 replacing the keyboard and upgrading the storage space adding at least a 500Gb M.2 SSD or maybe a 1TB if I can find an affordable option.  I already upgraded the hybrid HD/SSD to a 1TB SSD and from 8Gb of RAM to 32GB.

I plan on maybe triple booting it with Windows 10, Debian, and Kali Linux.  I’ve already done this with a ThinkPad T440p after upgrading the memory from 4Gb to 16, and the storage from a 250GB HD to an M.2 500GB SSD and a 1TB 2.5” SSD.  It boots very quickly and runs fast.  Linux seems faster and more efficient than Windows.  I still need to learn how to use the accessibility features in all my operating systems because I’m new to having this disability or vision problems.  If I can use Linux I’d like to make the switch.  Rioght now on my desk I’m using a MacBook Pro but would like to move away from it after I get my ThinkPad w540 working and configured.

If you do some shopping you should be able to find some refurbished ThinkPads really cheap and with a few upgrades they run very very nice.   I know refurb scares a few people off but I believe a lot of the refurbs sold from places like Fry’s and NewEgg are usually just cleaned up models that were deployed in the corporate world but still work great.  Just mostly cosmetic things need to be replaced and overall cleaned up.  I’ve purchased many and have not had any problems with them but if you’re able to spend just a little bit more you can buy a brand new model between 400 and 700 dollars…

Hope this helps someone…  if not just tune me out…

Alan