[NFBCS] Accessible Date and Time Pickers

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:04:59 UTC 2020

Hi, I am working on a project that needs a form element for capturing
departure and arival dates and times. Does anyone have any suggestions
for good methodologies for choosing dates and times?

I am using react JS for my javascript library.
There are a tun of date picker components out there, but personally I
hate most of them even those who say that there component is
accessible. I personally find entering a date manually in a textbox
far easier as a screenreader user than navigating some new UI and
spending far longer than I should trying to choose my date.
I know that I have seen a couple times where the date is split up into
three textboxes and you have to enter month in one, day into another,
and year into the last. This is generally pretty accessible in my
opinion and easier to deal with programmatically. I was trying to find
an already prepared js library for this, but I just couldn't put my
hands on one.

What about time though? I am not sure that I have seen texboxes for
entering time, that seems strange, but not really any worse than
entering a date manually. Perhaps listboxes?

What is people's prefered way of inserting dates as screenreader
users, and if you have any suggestions for resources on where to find
existing libraries that would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Timothy Breitenfeldt

--

Timothy Breitenfeldt