[NFBCS] Outlook.com and junk mail

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Sat Feb 29 20:19:56 UTC 2020

Louis,

One challenge is that these kinds of things vary with the version of Outlook you have.  Even if you have Office 365, the timing of new updates changes.  However, my description was not clear.  I'm afraid I used the word option in two different contexts so maybe clearing that up will help.  Several times I said "option" when it would have been better to say "choice" to differentiate it from the actual Junk Mail Options dialog.

If you are in a message list and a message is highlighted, and you press the Applications key, you can arrow down to the "Junk" submenu.  If you open that submenu, there are multiple choices including Block Sender and several "Never Block" choices.  On this submenu is a "Junk email Options" choice.  This opens a multipage dialog that lets you choose certain settings.  There are additional pages or tabs in that Dialog that give you access to your "Safe Senders", "Safe Recipients", "Blocked Addresses", and "International" which allows you to block specific messages based on international coding.  In addition, one of those Option Dialog pages is also called "options".

The "Junk" option on the menu that one accesses with the Applications key is only available if a message has focus on the message list.  I said before you have to be in the Junk folder, but that appears to not be true.  You can get to that option from any message list.

If one is on a message list, one can also bring up the ribbon, and if on the HOME tab, TAB to the "Junk" button.  Opening that menu should provide the same choices, but some may be unavailable.  One of those choices should be "Junk email Options". That choice should open the same dialog described above.  In other words, it is the "Junk" submenu that you should find on the HOME tab of the ribbon, but only from a message list.  I don't think there are any junk options on the Options choice from the File menu, as you already discovered.

Let me know if this helps.  I am sorry for the confusion.  Things one writes can seem so clear until one reads them a second time.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson