[NFBCS] speech for CentOS:

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Sun Jan 19 15:20:56 UTC 2020

Orca always works through a sound card. I do not believe it can work
through a hardware speech synth.

There are 2 totally different approaches to using a terminal in linux.
One is to use speakup and the other is to use a terminal emulator with
orca. If you are already using orca you can probably press Control+Alt+t
all at once to open the default terminal emulator. If that doesn't work,
you can try pressing Alt+F2 and typing 'gnome-terminal'.

If you are not already using orca and wish to use the Linux terminal,
you should be able to start speakup without installing anything if you
have a hardware speech synthesizer. If you do not have a hardware speech
synth, you will have to install espeakup. Once you install espeakup, you
should get speech immediately via your sound card.

Lots of things can go wrong with all of these processes. They are
supposed to just work and most of the time they do. If you have trouble,
you should subscribe to the email list for those systems. I can get you
those addresses if you need them.