[NFBCS] Fw: [orca-list] OT: Onslaught, Linux Asteroids-inspired audio game, seeking testers

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Thu Jul 30 18:08:43 UTC 2020

From: orca-list <orca-list-bounces at gnome.org> on behalf of Nolan Darilek <nolan at thewordnerd.info>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:10 AM
To: Orca
Subject: [orca-list] OT: Onslaught, Linux Asteroids-inspired audio game, seeking testers

Hey folks. Apologies for this off-topic message, and I won't send
another on this topic nor will I continue the thread here. But since
there are so few audio games for Linux, I wanted to toss out a quick
plug for my project. I have a mailing list and Matrix room set up for
future announcements, and will send those there. But starting a
community from scratch is hard, and I figure some of you would be
interested in this.

I've created Onslaught, an audio-only, Asteroids-like shooter. Supported
platforms include Linux X86 64-bit, among others, and I'm currently
seeking beta testers. I'm not quite ready to throw the gates open wide
yet, but Linux audio gaming is probably niche enough that I can seek
testers and not be overwhelmed with bug reports. :) Linux distribution
is done via itch.io, so you'll need an Itch account to participate.

For those of you more developer-oriented, I've also done quite a bit of
work writing a screen reader for the Godot game engine. This makes the
Godot editor moderately usable for building games, and also helps make
game UIs accessible on Linux, Windows, Xbox One, and Android. Other
platforms like MacOS/iOS should theoretically work, but I don't have the
hardware to verify that. This is kind of like the accessible Unity
plugin for those of you who have played Unity games on
Windows/Android/iOS, except open source, and supporting game creation in
addition. Note that editor support is rough, and I'm not able to do much
coaching on how to develop with it.

Anyhow, learn about the game and apply to test here:

https://lightsout.games/onslaught

And if you're interested in future efforts, which again won't be
discussed here, check out this link for the mailing list/chat:

https://lightsout.games/community

Thanks for reading.