[NFBCS] usb headset

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Jun 9 20:49:38 UTC 2020

	hello.  What you want is a splitter that breaks the left and right
channels of a stereo headset into individual connectors.  Then, one
connector wil plug into your main sound card, for jaws, and the other will
plug into your phone or a secondary sound card for the voice call.
Usually, headsets with microphones have a third conductor for the mic
itself.  I don't know if they make a splitter that breaks that down into a
separate connector, or if you can get a splitter that carries the mic
conductor with one of the separate connectors.  An easier solution might be
two light weight headsets that you wear in an X formation across your head.
Then, you put one ear from one headset in one of your ears and the other
ear from the other headset in your other ear.  I've done this on many
occasions and, while it looks a bit strange, it's very functional and
doesn't require fancy wiring.  If you're doing voice calls over the same
computer that's running your screen reader, I suggest routing the voice
calls over the secondary sound card, usually a USB sound card in today's
world.  The reason is that the screen reader is more demanding of control
of the sound card than most VOIP applications are, so you want to use the
more capable, and more responsive, sound card run your screen reader.

-thanks
-Brian