[NFBCS] Cleaning a braille display

Joseph C. Lininger joe at pcdesk.net
Wed Mar 18 04:10:25 UTC 2020

Back in the days of Freedom Scientific, I had a girlfriend with a
braille display that kept sticking. I spoke to them and they told me to
clean it with isopropyl alcohol and a soft paper towel. Don't remember
percentage, in the 90's though it was. 90%, 92%, something like that.
They said that part was actually really important, that the lower
concentrate rubbing alcohol people usually buy shouldn't be used. Water
content or impurities I think is the issue. The high concentrate
isopropyl alcohol evaporates extremely quickly after being exposed to
air, so it won't build up "kill display" levels of moisture. It's
actually used to clean other electronic components too. You do have to
be careful, though, because Alcohol can mar certain surfaces.
Joe