[NFBCS] rdp

Ed Barnes edbarnes7 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:52:34 UTC 2020

Hi all, like many around the country, I am working from home since the
beginning of the covid-19 outbreak, or more specifically I worked in
the office last week as I was involved in setting up laptops as part
of our business continuity plan for the provincial government in NL
where I work and yesterday was my first full day working from home
with laptop and vpn.
I wanted to share with you that I discovered today a very convenient
and helpful tip which others on the list may find useful if you do
teaching or it support.
On win 10, if you open up the remote desktop/terminal services client
and choose options on the toolbar, local resources, remote audio
settings, play on this computer, keyboard apply windows key
combinations on the remote computer, as long as the speakers are not
muted on the remote host, you can use narrator and have its sound
echoed on your pc so you can use it for basic screen reader
functions/troubleshooting if you are blind/visually impaired.
Of course, if you are doing it in a nat environment you probably need
to forward port 3389 tcp to the ip address of the device to which you
are connecting, however; I assume that most of the people who would
probably have the greatest use for this probably may already know
that. 
I hope this helps someone during the covid-19 outbreak.
Any questions please feel free to reply to this note or if you’d like
to discuss I’m at 709-682-4099.