[NFBCS] Looking for blind programmers for an interview study - $40 cash or Amazon gift card

Auditory Research auditory.research11 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 20:12:05 UTC 2020

Hello,

My name is Khaled Albusays, and I am a Ph.D. student in Computing and
Information Sciences at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

I am investigating how to improve the experience of computer programmers
who are blind.

In particular, I am studying three different audio interaction techniques
to provide sound effects in order to help screen-reader users understand
the indentation level when they are navigating through software code. We
are looking for participants for a 70-minute interview (in-person or
remote) about possible ways to interact with various sound effects via a
web-based prototype.

Participants would receive $40 cash or gift card for participating in this
study.

Participants are eligible if they answer Yes to the following five
questions:

   1. Do you use a screen reader when operating a computer?
   2. Are you a blind individual (someone who does not use sight) who is
   age 18 and older?
   3. Do you have at least two years of computer programming experience and
   regularly engage in programming for school, work, or hobby?
   4. Are you familiar with the Python programming language and JavaScript?
   5. Are you comfortable communicating in spoken English and do not have
   other sensory or motor disabilities, e.g. hearing impairment?

If you answer Yes to all five of these questions and would like more
information about participating, please contact me at
auditory.research11 at gmail.com so that I can answer any questions, confirm
your eligibility, provide you with a study document, and schedule an
interview appointment.

If you happen to know people who fit the study profile, please help us
reach them. We are working to make programming more accessible to
screen-reader users, and we cannot propose solutions without
understanding their needs. Therefore, we need your help.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to having you in this study.

Best Wishes,
Khaled Albusays
Ph.D. student in Computing and Information Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, New York 14623
Email: auditory.research11 at gmail.com