[NFBCS] SQL Server Management Studio and large amounts of data

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Nov 23 12:53:42 UTC 2020

I usually know roughly what table I’m after, but I have paged down through long lists before, looking at what’s there.

Also, SQL has a name sysobjects, and another syscolumns, and you can use those to write a query to see what’s around.  Don’t select all columns from all tables, though!

I found this query to get some column names from a particular table, which perhaps you can modify:

Select a.name as table_name

,b.name as col_name

>From sysobjects a,

Syscolumns b

Where a.ID = b.ID

And b.name like ‘%depar%’

I like to set SQL output to a file when I’m testing or looking at something.  For me, it’s much easier to look at a file than to try to look at the grid in SQL.

HTH.

Tracy