[NFBCS] Unrealistic expectations of team leaders and supervisors on the job

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Nov 27 15:50:56 UTC 2020

Hi Michael.
What Steve said was very good. But you want specifics?
I've had my job for 32 years, with a variety of bosses.  All have been
willing to help me address accessibility problems, but none of them really
knew what was or wasn't accessible.
I have a project leader who still thinks that some spreadsheets will be hard
for me to read, even though I keep telling him that they are not and keep
reading them.  On the other hand, sometimes a user sends an email with an
embedded image, and I have to ask my leader to tell me about it.
As Steve said, when there is an accessibility problem, I have to figure out
what's going wrong and what a good solution could be, then present it to my
manager in a way he can understand.  He's a smart guy, but doesn't know
anything about screen readers, nor should he have to learn about them.
Sometimes the solution takes a lot of asking questions of other people on
this list, or Jaws tech support, + a lot of experimenting by me.  I had to
do that recently to get 3270 terminal emulation to work well on my laptop.
However, the same steps didn't work quite so well on my co-worker's laptop.
Go figure.
Sometimes, I can find a solution, but it's not real efficient.  For a while,
our change control system required a lot of mouse clicks and careful
arrowing around, which I could do with Jaws, but it took me 4 or 5 times as
long to do as it took my sighted colleagues.  It wasn't a big part of my
job, so I asked my project leader to do it for me, and eventually the system
changed again to something I can use easily, so now I do it myself.  But, if
it it had been a big part of my job, I would have been in trouble.  And I
had to pay attention to when the system was being updated, so I could try
again to see if it worked better for me.
Like Steve said, I have to be in charge of my own accessibility.  I have to
tell my manager what works and what doesn't, and at least be ready to
explain why, and do it clearly and patiently.  I can't be shy about speaking
up and asking for help, but I can't constantly ask for help, either.
HTH.
Tracy