[NFBCS] JAWS, PuTTY and caret tracking

Glen Gordon GGordon at Vispero.com
Mon Sep 14 13:32:43 UTC 2020

Hi, Everyone,

A month or so back there was a long discussion about remote editing on Linux systems. As part of that, several people mentioned that when using PuTTY with JAWS that the caret wasn't properly being tracked. This befuddled me, knowing that we had worked really hard to rectify this back in 2019, but apparently not hard enough. At that time we fixed it for computers running at 96 DPI but had not tested with higher DPI settings back then. As it turns out, JAWS was not tracking the caret on any systems running at 128 DPI or greater, which essentially made it unusable with laptops.

I'm pleased to say that this has been resolved in public beta 1 of JAWS 2021 which is available now. Anybody with a JAWS 2020 license can run the public beta without uninstalling JAWS 2020. This change will also be in the next JAWS 2020 update but that won't come  until later in the year.

If you try this, please let me know your results, especially if caret tracking still doesn't work for you.

Thanks

--Glen

Glen Gordon
Vispero(tm) | Software Fellow
17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764
T 727-803-8000 F 727-803-8001
ggordon at vispero.com<mailto:ggordon at vispero.com>
www.vispero.com<http://www.vispero.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of Vispero(tm). Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.