[NFBCS] Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Tue Sep 15 03:24:46 UTC 2020

I would start by checking to make sure protected mode is not active. Convenient OCR and the normal reading functions cannot work if Acrobat Reader is in protected mode. I don't know what convenient OCR does with password-protected files.
I own Omnipage 19. It puts an option in the context menu for PDF files and offers to convert them to text RTF, etc. If it finds that a file is password-protected, it asks your permission before it will do OCR on the file. You have the right, under US copyright law, to circumvent digital rights management systems in order to make a file accessible to you. The US Copyright Office has to renew this statement every few years under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled
Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20542
202-707-0535     https://nls.loc.gov
The preceding opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Library of Congress, NLS.