[NFBCS] JAWS, PuTTY and caret tracking

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 04:40:56 UTC 2020

Hi Glen,

I am still having issues with caret tracking in PuTTY using JAWS public beta
v2021.2009.13.  This is very directly relevant to my university studies and
would make life a lot easier if this could be resolved, so would love to
work with you to do diagnostics and fix it if possible.  I don't know what
my laptop screen's DPI is but it is a HP Probook running Windows 10 v2004
(64-bit).  I have turned off the automatic screen resolution adjustment and
set scaling to 100%.

For one of my subjects, I have to use an Oracle SQLPlus SSID database to
create tables and cases and describe entity relationships.  Inquiries are
being made but I currently cannot supply which distro or version of Linux is
being used on the other end.  When I use Putty to log in to the Linux
terminal over SSH using the Deakin University interactive server, I get the
following results using JAWS 2021:

* Formerly, when using JAWS2020, I used to be able to arrow through the
initial text-based menu that the system presents and determine where the
cursor was located by reading by current line.  But I can no longer do this
when using J2021.  Instead it always speaks the text "Welcome to PDMenu
1.3.2 by Joey Hess <joey at kitnet.net>".  I don't know how the menu is
constructed but it presumably does not use ncurses, otherwise I'm pretty
sure it would be completely inaccessible.  Some times using the up and down
arrow keys repeats the message "Arrow keys move, escape exits current menu,
enter runs program".
* When I type sqlplus into the prompt, it presents me with the SQLPlus CLI;
however, I cannot track the caret.  I can read by current line which
displays the SQL prompt and what I have currently typed but using the left
and right arrow keys simply produces unwanted characters i.e. ^[[D and ^[[C
for left and right arrows respectively.
* Typing echo works and current text input is also announced when I delete
characters with backspace.

Regarding line discipline options, I have tried, to no avail, both enabling
and disabling both local character echo and local line edit.

Hope this helps and please tell me to elaborate on any further info you may
need.  Using PuTTY suite Version Release 0.73.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt
Undergraduate student
Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)
School of Information Technology
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
Deakin University, Cloud campus
https://sync.deakin.edu.au/profiles/student/njschmidt/

Std. ID: 220493627
E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au
M: 0439591709
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/njsch/
GitHub: https://github.com/njsch/
Skype: nathaniel_schmidt1994

As it
> turns out, JAWS was not tracking the caret on any systems running at 128
DPI