[NFBCS] question about wifi hotspots

Joseph C. Lininger joe at pcdesk.net
Tue Aug 17 20:23:09 UTC 2021

Greetings Liz,
I've done it both ways. Originally, I had a MyFi hotspot. The initial
setup required a little assistance, but just enough to get someone to
tell me how to access the web interface. The device can be configured
via a web interface just like regular WiFi routers. The on-device
interface is not accessible, but I never needed to use it other than to
bring up the screen that told me the initial admin password which I
promptly changed. This was back in 2014, so I couldn't say for sure what
the deal would be now.

I think pretty much all of these devices still come with a web
interface, so honestly accessibility is probably not your primary
concern. What you'll want to consider is two things. First, do you want
a dedicated device for your mobile hotspot or are you ok with your phone
playing double duty? Second, do you want to pay for a second line for
the mobile hotspot? Your carrier will probably make you pay for a
separate data line for the separate device if you go that route. They'll
probably also want you to buy the device itself.

Personally, I just use my phone for this when I need it. It does have
the disadvantage of draining the phone battery more quickly sometimes,
and depending on your setup and your carrier an incoming call might
disrupt your data connection. For me, those disadvantages are outweighed
by the convenience of just having to carry my phone, keep my phone
updated, etc. rather than having to mess with a separate device that I
don't use all that often anyway. It also saved money every month.

I have a Samsung Galaxy device, and it offers three ways I can use it to
connect my laptop to the Internet. First, I can turn the phone into a
mobile WiFi hotspot which I can connect to with my laptop. Second, I can
use USB to tether the phone to my laptop, and the laptop will see it as
a network interface. Third, I can tether using Bluetooth. I know the
iPhone offers the WiFi option; I've set it up for others. Not sure if it
offers the other two. WiFi is the one I use most often anyway, though I
will sometimes do USB tethering in some situations (like if I don't want
my phone acting as a hotspot for some reason, or if I'm using the laptop
to charge my phone's battery anyway so I'm already connected to it via USB.)

Most individuals these days choose the phone option over the separate
device option; the separate routers are usually used in situations where
mobile WiFi needs to be provided for several people on an ongoing bases.
With that in mind, I will offer a couple of suggestions assuming you're
going to use your phone as the hotspot. If you choose the  other route,
these suggestions will be applicable but will require some modification.

* When activating hotspot, make sure you know how your carrier is going
to  bill it. Some have a separate pool of data for hotspot as an example.
* Change the SSID of the hotspot. The default one advertises that it's a
phone acting as a mobile hotspot; better for security reasons not to do
that. (Yes I know a hacker can find that information anyway with a
little digging, but don't advertise it.) Choose an SSID that will make
it easy for you to recognize your device when looking to connect to it.
* Set the WiFi passphrase to something secure, just like you'd do with a
normal WiFi router. The passphrase will probably default to your phone
number; you'll want to change that.
* Turn off the mobile hotspot function when you're not actively using
it. This way you aren't walking around advertising a mobile hotspot. It
also saves battery.

Hope this helps.
Joe